Human Rights Board
The Commission shall have the following functions, powers and duties:
- To encourage fair treatment for and to foster mutual understanding and respect among, and to discourage discrimination against, any racial, ethnic, religious or other group protected by this Chapter, members of these groups or handicapped persons.
- To formulate and carry out educational programs designed to minimize or eliminate those discriminatory practices made unlawful by Article III of this Chapter.
- To receive and investigate complaints alleging any discriminatory practices made unlawful by Article III of this Chapter.
- To implement the purposes of this Chapter by conference, conciliation and persuasion so that persons may be guaranteed their civil rights and good will be fostered.
- To provide mediation services to resolve incidences of alleged discriminatory practices made unlawful by Article III of this Chapter.
- To cooperate with other organizations, private and public, to discourage discrimination.
- To advise the City Council on human rights issues.
- To hold public hearings on the state of human rights and relations in the City and on specific human rights issues.
- To sponsor or initiate specifically targeted workshops and on-going programs to improve human relations and to decrease tensions in the City.
- To present informational programs on human rights to school, business, service and other organizations.
- To formulate policies and to adopt, promulgate, amend and rescind suitable rules and regulations to carry out the provisions of this Chapter and said policies of the Commission in connection therewith.
- To provide each year to the City Council a full written report of all its activities and of its recommendations.